Thursday, March 23, 2006

Let me introduce to you a guy who has not always worn a shirt with an aligator, crocodile, or some kind of animal on the front of it. Jeff Parks

Below this is my good friend Jeff Parks's thinking and solution to improving S.C. Public Education. He is a S.C. native, graduate from Clemson University, and a Georgia school teacher.
Jeff last year arguably taught in the worst public school system in Metro Atlanta, and following that, teaching school in the richest zip code in Metro Atlanta. Yes, this is true, I've been down there quite a few times to visit him and have seen this for myself. This was his response to "Power Girl" and "Whitney", it was so good, I decided to make it a guest blog, So here it is----------


I want you to keep in mind that before you read this, I cannot run for South Carolina Superintendant of Education. I am a resident of the state of Georgia, therefore some residency requirements get in the way.

#1 A CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT---------As I have previously stated, South Carolina is a perfect example of the have's and the have not's. Spartanburg and Greenville County thrive. They are located on I-85. They have an international airport at their service. They are the only major stopping point between Atlanta and Charlotte. They have a nice middle class, relatively educated population that serves many new industries that come to the area. Their tax base is fantastic and it shows in many of their schools.Marlboro County is nowhere near an airport. They have a poorly education citizen base. They are not located near an interstate. In all honestly, it is not a place where business leaders want to flock. Now, I know what you are going to say..."If Marlboro County had better _____" or "If the people in Marlboro County would leave..." But it is not that simple. Let's stop the blame game and fix the problem.Let's pass a Constitutional amendment that takes some of that tax base from the richest segments of South Carolina, and help out the poorer counties. Get them the resources that they need. Get them the technology that they need. 1st graders cannot help what district they go to school in. So let's start helping out these kids.

#2 - INVEST EARLY-------Invest early, particularly in programs that are going to help kids before they turn 4 years old. And yes...this is (gasp) WELFARE. People do stupid things. They get pregnant when they are 16 years old. They spend all their money on drugs. They divorce. They don't go to college. But to be honest with you, I am not sure that I want to make the innocent kid pay dearly for the mistakes that his/her stupid parents made. The single biggest problem we have in education is that when some kids get to 1st grade, they pale in comparision to their counterparts. To correct this problem, we need to make sure that when they enter 1st grade, they are on par. Then they succeed at that same level, instead of trying to catch up and becoming discouraged.

#3 - BE PROACTIVE, NOT REACTIVE------We too often times try to be reactive. We wait until a problem occurs, and then we say..."Here is the solution." My proposal is that we start to anticipate problems, and be proactive instead of reactive to those problems. This is very general, but should be easily accomplished.I've got other ideas, but for the sake of your eyes, I will hold off on those.
- JP

5 comments:

Frank Davis said...

What's wrong with the alligator on my shirt?

____________ said...

Frank,
There's nothing wrong with the aligator on your shirt. I think all these people who are wanting school choice and vouchers and etc., I think they are ones who have always worn shirts with aligators, lizards, and snakes on their shirts. This blog is coming from a guy who use to not wear shirts like that, who now has money to wear shirts with animals on it, and he is still against the school choice and voucher program

earlcapps said...

I support school choice, but not so I can send my kids to some elite institution. I do it so kids who are in some truly bad schools can get out of them.

But I'm not dumb enough to suggest that school choice is the only answer, nor to by into the short-sighted arguments of those who think it is.

There's a middle ground here - choice is part of it, but so is cutting red tape that holds public schools back.

We also have to have the guts to admit that much of what holds our children back is outside of the classroom, and be willing to take a more pro-active role in our communities, as private citizens, not through government programs.

We have to take responsibility for the future of our state ... scary thought, ain't it?

Next time I come upstate, can you hook me up with some donuts?

____________ said...

Earl,
Great points that you have made on here and on the schotline. I will say this, and I do not know if School Choice would necessarily or would not make this situation better but........Overall DISCIPLINE in our schools/classrooms. It has seemed to really have gotten out of hand. I'm not blaming our teachers or administrators. I really am not blaming anyone, but seems from talking to my friends that are teachers, that fights/violence etc, is a lot worse than what it was when i was in/...Junior high, whcih was only...9-10 years ago. And yes to all the K. Floyd loyalists, I do realize she has a plan helping cut down on school violence and such. But that is just a small piece of the puzzle. Earl........let me know when your ever in town, or I could mail you some Free Dozen Glaze coupons in the mail!

earlcapps said...

My mother lives right behind the Saturn dealership on Reidville Road, so I get up there sometimes (and darnit, they closed Gooney Bird's!).

My favorite place in all the world is that waterfall on Highway 11 up near Cleveland, and soon, it'll be warm enough out to where it'll be a great place to rest and relax.