Sunday, April 09, 2006

Even Flounder Feels Nervous About Huntin' With SC Rep. Thad Viers! Camouflage hat,Check! Wallet,Check! Water Bottle,Check! AK-47 Assault Rifle, Check


Flounder, from the movie Animal House-------SC House of Rep. Thad Viers

Myrtle Beach lawmaker takes home assault rifle prize
Associated Press
CLEMSON, S.C. - And the winner of the AK-47 assault rifle given away by Clemson University's conservative newspaper is ... state Rep. Thad Viers, R-Myrtle Beach.Viers was in the woods near the Anderson-Greenville county line on Friday getting the required range training that came with the prize."It was great today," Viers said. "I got the NRA-certified instructor, he showed me how to use it. I never shot one before."It was one of those guns that you've heard a lot about in movies and stuff and now they're legal to own. This is going to be my sixth gun."The 28-year-old lawmaker didn't actually win the drawing for the rifle. Rather the first two winners rejected the prize, and the third winner gave it to Viers, who had to pay sales tax on the gun valued at $550.
Viers plans to add the AK-47 to his collection of pistols and shot guns."You're not exercising your Second Amendment (rights) unless you own a gun," Viers said. "I think some of the movies like 'Rambo' and some of the other ones have given (the AK-47) a bad name."Andrew Davis, editor of The Tiger Town Observer, has said the gun was offered in the giveaway to bring attention to the Second Amendment right to bear arms and to raise money for the paper and other charitable causes.The newspaper is a free monthly publication distributed on campus. It receives no financial support from the university but does have office space on the Hendrix Student Center.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the Sales tax is $550 on one of those things, how much does an AK-47 cost period?

earlcapps said...

... be careful not to say "negative campaign ATTACK" around this guy after this.

____________ said...

Earl,
haha, you are 100% right. There is no way I'm ever writing or saying anything to remotely possibly piss this dude off! I remember seeing the AK-47 being allowed to be purchased back in the fall of 04'. George Bush would not resign the ban against these weapons, so therefore, the ban expired and now mikey reese cna go to wal-mart or wherever and buy an AK-47 Aerial Assault Rifle. Do you agree with this that this should be allowed?

Chief RZ said...

Michael,
I agree that an AK-47 or any other "scary" looking "assault rifle" should be allowed to be purchased by those who undergo Federal and State background checks. Do you think it is an automatic?
What would be next? Cobra 440 CI cars (too powerful), "who needs that much power", uses too much gas, etc. or that meat cleaver looks like it could hurt someone, or that baseball bat could be used to kill someone, or... well, you get the idea. I have been on this for over 15 years. The facts point that in those counties, and states that have CWP or right to carry, and enjorce the existing gun laws have a significantly lower crime rate than places like DC, Detroit and parts of California, England and Australia that have banned guns from law abiding citizens. When the criminals don't know who is carrying, they tend to think twice about assaulting you. We are the good guys. They are the bad guys.

____________ said...

Chief,
Thank you for your input. I personally....call me a wus, I've never even shot a gun, paint gun, or anything before and I do not know the process or processes and how safe it is for someone to purchase one, much less an AK-47. I guess my first thought when I heard this in the fall of 04' was.......Bush is suppose to protect us, why he is allowing an AK-47 to be available to own here in the U.S. I guess if people purchase and own an AK-47....will 99% of them not even use them I might would imagine? Just probably sit in their gun closet most of the time maybe. Should I try and pursue an adventure to purchase one just to see how the process and everything works? It appears I would need some help financially if the dern sales tax on one is $550!

Anonymous said...

Thad is awesome and he is going to have a blast hunting with that thing. I know I don't want to go with him if he pulls a Cheney with an AK47 though. Come check out the new site... www.palmettovoice.com