Monday, February 13, 2006

A "Voice of Reason" and "Billy Idol" says Thumbs Up for Sen. Kevin Bryant


"Grow up, Peter Pan! When are you going to jump off the Republican Bandwagon and realize that your party stands for nothing but corruption?"

Obviously the above phraseology resonates with those of you who frequent our friend M. Reese’s little section of the World-Wide Web. Whether it makes your heart sing or your blood boil, you’ve heard his admonition many times. During just one such recent exchange, Michael stunned me by inviting me to be a guest columnist on his ‘blog. Since this is my first post, I’ll start with some common ground. (And, since this is Michael’s ‘blog, I’ll stick to the subject he asked me to address.)
For those of you who aren’t familiar with
http://www.scgopsenator.blogspot.com/, meet Senator Kevin Bryant. Elected in 2004 from Anderson County, Senator Bryant is at least one member of our backwards state legislature that understands and utilizes computers. The fact that he’s unafraid to use an un-PC term like "shanghai" puts him solidly in my ‘good people’ column. Frankly, I’m a little stumped as to why Michael likes him, since he supports the statewide charter school district, property tax reform, and the taxpayer empowerment amendment (obviously a smart guy).
However, I do take issue with the Good Senator’s take on Jessica’s Law. Bryant aims to strengthen the penalties for repeat sex offenses of against children – a worthy goal. But this amendment would allow the death penalty as a punishment for repeat offenders. I’m not entirely comfortable with capital punishment in general, and I certainly don’t think it’s an appropriate response for any crime but murder. I wasn’t raised Baptist so I am a little rusty on my Scripture, but I seem to remember something about ‘an eye for an eye; a tooth for a tooth’ – I just don’t think this punishment fits the crime. I’m certain Bryant won’t find a lot of opposition to his amendment, since advocating the rights of child molesters doesn’t help with fundraising or re-election efforts. Despite the horrendous nature of the crime, I think we all do ourselves a disservice to rubber stamp this legislation just because punishing perverts sounds like a good idea.
Hm… I didn’t mean to get on that soapbox. What I meant to say is that K-Bry is a good guy, and I like him. I think Michael likes him too. And, for the opinion that REALLY counts… Billy Idol thinks he’s excellent.

~~The Voice of Reason~~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jessicas Law is a joke. Its good to see some good writing on your site. Maybe you should let the ghost writer right more often. I don't think they are a left wing looney! =)

____________ said...

Haha, thank you for the Constructive Criticism. I wnated to find out more on this Kevin Bryant guy and I knew the "Voice of Reason" knows a lot about him and could give us all some good insight. I am not a fan that he supports the charter schools etc. But I am not a 1 issue guy. I dont let 1 disagreement on an issue with a politician make me decide not to like him. I think the "Voice of Reason" might potentially show up and do one blog a week, help give me site some "Fair and Balance." haha

Anonymous said...

Aww. You like me. You really like me!